Parents worry most about the amount of time children spend on their screens
Children are using devices such as smartphones and tablets from the age of two and a half. And figures from MediaNest show that finding the right balance between time spent with or without a screen is a major challenge for many parents. For this survey, 500 parents were questioned about screen usage by their children (aged 0 to 7).
Use of media
- Television is still the most frequently used medium (84%).
- Tablets and smartphones are also popular: 60% of respondents said that their children enjoy using them.
- Most popular activities: watching videos (80%) and listening to music (59%).
- Most popular application: YouTube.
Concern about time spent in front of screens
When questioned about their concerns, it was apparent that...
- Parents are worried mainly about the time their child(ren) spend in front of screens.
- Almost four parents out of ten want to prevent their child(ren) coming across inappropriate content.
- But... not everyone knows exactly how to do it.
How do parents protect their children against inappropriate content?
- 96% of them keep an eye on things.
- 79% of them choose applications or websites that have suitable content for children.
- Around 60% look with the child for appropriate applications or set an age limit, wherever possible.
Other striking conclusions from the survey:
- Only one person in five is concerned about protecting the privacy of their children.
- Their greatest concern on this topic: “Is it normal for there to be photos of my child online?”
Opinions that clearly agree
Nearly all of the people surveyed thought that a good balance between time spent with and without a screen is very important.
- 92% of parents clearly agree with their child(ren) about their use of screens.
- However... setting a good example is not always so easy: 70% say that they don’t manage to do so.
Discover more tips
Not sure how to ensure that your child goes online safely, securely and responsibly? Our tips and advice will definitely help you!